Brian M O’Curran November 23 2009 10:25:00 AMFor Your Consideration
- Hard dollar expense savings
- Reduced audio conferencing costs
- Easy to access to meetings
- Reductions in travel costs
- Improved meeting experience with desktop video
- Sametime (Standard or Advanced) on the desktop is the cornerstone of the IBM UC² strategy and pre-req to Sametime Unified Telephony
The upcoming release of Sametime is the most significant release in three years - since we transformed a simple IM & Web Conferencing application into a platform for Unified Communications and Collaboration with version 7.5. Here's what can you expect:
- A new online Meeting experience
- A zero-download, browser-based instant messaging client. Great news for resource constrained deployments and chat enabling web sites.
- The ability to extend unified communications capabilities to your web apps through standard web development tools (CEBP)
- A modern video infrastructure with higher-quality, lower bandwidth codecs and improved integration into standards-based SIP endpoints
- New mobile device support, including a browser-based iPhone client
- A new centralized management console. This will make it easier for IT to deploy and administer Sametime.
If Sametime 7.5 was all about revolutionizing instant messaging, the next release does the same for Online Meetings. Most web conferencing systems are simply too cumbersome for regular use. We know we're tired of losing the first 10 minutes of every meeting to sharing URLs, repeating IDs or waiting for plugins to download. So we've invested a lot of time and energy in rethinking how meetings work in Sametime. Our goal is to make them so easy, everyone will want to use them everyday. There's no reason there are 300 million corporate email users yet the largest web conferencing vendors only claim 7 million users per month. Some of the functionality you'll see:
- Easy to Access We've added a list of all your online meetings to your Sametime Connect Client. Joining a meeting is as simple as starting a chat... just click on the meeting. Of course, this will integrate with your Notes or Outlook calendar.
- Easy to Invite Drag others them from your Sametime Contact List to your meeting to invite them. Just like a group chat invitation, they are one click away from joining.
- Easy to Use Sametime Meetings can now run through the Sametime Connect Client. This means starting and joining a meeting is incredibly fast. Moreover, Sametime users will have a complete set of tools available to them without having to take any additional steps. Non-Sametime users can also join Sametime Meetings through their web browser. URLs are in "plain English" (or appropriate language), so they'll be easy to embed in invitations or relay over the phone. Ordinary participants won't have to download any special plugins (although, application sharing will require a small java browser plugin.)
- Easy to Customize Don't like where we put the chat window in the meeting room? Need more room for other tools? No problem, all the elements can be resized, re-arranged and (with the Sametime Connect client) even ripped off the meeting and float free-standing.
- Easy to Share Meeting recordings will be stored in industry standard formats to simplify editing (as appropriate) and distribution. New reporting tools can automatically generate attendance lists, questions to be answered and action items to be worked.
- Easy to Collaborate Sametime Meetings are always-on and persistent. You can create different rooms for different topics and leave the work materials there for future use. Store files, transcripts, action items right in the room or link to other file repositories. Authorized individuals can access the room and materials at any time. Its like a physical conference room where the cleaning staff never wipes the whiteboard - unless you ask them to.
If you'd like to try out the new Sametime 8.5 Online Meeting experience, give me a call!
- Comments